Spot the Signs (Youth Suicide Prevention Course)
Date & Time:
Audience: All practitioners working with children and young people (aged 9yrs to 20yrs) in Hertfordshire.
The purpose of this session is to increase participants’ knowledge and awareness about youth suicide. We will explore information about which groups of young people are most at risk and why, protective factors and increase confidence in using practical strategies for identifying and responding to signs of risk in young people. You will be provided with some of the latest information and statistics in regard to suicide in young people. We will also explore the effects of media and contagion on youth suicide, with the internet having an important contemporary role. This session is most suitable for individuals working/ caring for 9-year to 20-year olds.
- Have a broad awareness of suicide in young people, including being able to recognise some of the latest statistics and risk factors
- Understand some of the misconceptions surrounding suicide in young people and be aware of the impact of stigma.
- Have increased confidence in responding to and supporting young people with suicidal thoughts.
- Have an increased knowledge of services available in Hertfordshire to support young people with suicidal thoughts.
- Know where and when to signpost young people to for additional support.