Engaging in Difficult Conversations
Date & Time:
All frontline professionals working in health and social care, including social workers and health visitors, e.g. those engaging with the Gypsy Roma Traveller Community.
Delegates must have completed mandatory Basic/Stage 1 Safeguarding/Child Protection training within their own agency. The course is free to attend for people working for an agency contributing to the operation of the HSCB, or at cost if not.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT - PRE-COURSE WORK
In order to gain as much as possible from the training, it is necessary for delegates to prepare by downloading and completing the pre-course worksheet from the 'Download Course Materials' section of their dashboard.
Delegates are asked to think about either a difficult conversation they have had, or a difficult conversation they are likely to be having in the future, and to bring this completed information with them on the day.
Aim of the Course:
To equip delegates with the understanding, tools and solutions for effectively dealing with challenging and difficult conversations that they encounter as part of their professional day-to-day life.
- Recognising what is a difficult conversation and why it’s challenging.
- Developing a framework to hold the conversation effectively.
- Establishing what other people want or expect from difficult conversations.
- Developing perception and how to influence it so that the conversation is constructive.
- Conversation dynamics and understanding the games people play.
- Enhancing effective listening skills to empower the holding of effective conversations.